Monday, May 3, 2010

Fresh food (hooray)

We had our first taste of fresh food this weekend. Fresh as in picked-100-feet-from-the-house fresh.


It is a life affirming gift to once again be in this oh too short season of growing our own food.

Rhubarb is so wonderful (as long as you add sufficient sweetener!). We enjoyed one of the simplest ways to cook rhubarb. Mixed with strawberries and sugar, it becomes "strubarb". (Sounds better than "rhuberry").

Make sure you trim off the leaves of rhubarb, as they are toxic.


(Do you like how I got the camera strap in the picture? The shot I didn't show also has my elbow. And part of a knee.)

Wash and chop the rhubarb. Add strawberries and sugar with enough water to keep it from sticking. Cook on medium low heat until bubbly and soft, about 10 minutes. Take out a spoonful and let cool enough to taste. Add more sugar if needed.


Quantities for this dessert are not rigid - I used about 4 cups of rhubarb, 1 1/2 cups strawberries, half a cup of water, and half a cup of sugar.  

The ruby bit of spring-time heaven that we ended up with was this:


I took seven pictures of this bowl of strubarb - and this was the best of the lot (really). Then it got swiped out from under me to be eaten. So you'll just have to take my word for it that it looks good, and tastes even better.  

1 comment:

  1. Ah, rhubarb. When I was young (as in a teenager), I used to get this granola that had little bits of dried berries in it, and put it over stewed rhubarb. Made the best breakfast ever! Then our grocery store stopped carrying that granola...oh well. I still love rhubarb, but it's hard to get if you don't have a patch of your own. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think.